The collection below includes publications that have grown out of the “German Iowa” project, followed by a list of primary and secondary print sources on German immigration to Iowa. Links lead to online editions or pdf files of the original publications when available. For press coverage of our project, please see the Media Coverage section of our site.
- Glenn Ehrstine and Lucas Gibbs, “Iowa’s Prohibition Plague: Joseph Eiboeck’s Account of the Battle over Prohibition, 1846-1900,” Annals of Iowa 78 (2019): 1-74.
- Walter Kamphoefner, “The Quest of the Historical Jürnjakob: A Centennial Evaluation of an Immigrant Novel and the Real-Life Figure Behind It,” Yearbook of German-American Studies 51 (2016): 1-23.
- Maiken Umbach and Scott Sulzener, Photography, Migration, and Identity: A German-Jewish-American Story, Palgrave Studies in Migration History (Palgrave Macmillan, 2018).
Primary Sources for German Immigration to Iowa
- Joseph Eiboeck, Die Deutschen von Iowa und deren Errungenschaften (Des Moines, 1900)
- Iowa, die Heimat für Einwanderer (Des Moines, 1870) [English edition]
- Iowa, die Heimat für Einwanderer, revised edition (Keokuk, 1873)
- August P. Richter, Geschichte der Stadt Davenport und des County Scott (Davenport, 1917)
Select Bibliography on German Immigration to Iowa and Related Topics
- Dan Elbert Clark, “The History of Liquor Legislation in Iowa, 1846-1861,” The Iowa Journal of History and Politics 6 (1908): 55-87.
- Dan Elbert Clark, “The History of Liquor Legislation in Iowa, 1861-1878,” The Iowa Journal of History and Politics 6 (1908): 339-74.
- Dan Elbert Clark, “The History of Liquor Legislation, 1878-1908,” The Iowa Journal of History and Politics 6 (1908): 503-608.
- George H. Daniels, “ ,” Mid-America 44 (1962): 146-162.
- Richard Jensen, “ ,” in Iowa History Reader, ed. Marvin Bergman (Iowa City: University of Iowa Press, 2008), 263-290.
- William Roba, German-Iowan Studies: Selected Essays, New German-American Studies 28 (New York: Peter Lang, 2004).
- Rolf Swenson, “Ernst Hofer: A German Republican Journalist in Iowa, 1855-1890,” The Annals of Iowa 52 (1991): 565-602.
- Trumbull White, “Does Prohibition Pay? III. The Test of a State That Recanted” Appleton’s Magazine 12 (1908): 343-350.
- Frederic H. Wines and John Koren, “ ,” in The Liquor Problem in Its Legislative Aspects (Boston/New York: Houghton Mifflin, 1897), 96-140.